Sunday, October 19, 2008

viewing Jupiter through several telescopes

Welcome to mah bloggin' site. Decided to get some images of the little star party in my backyard. I had the C9.25 with Baader binoviewers next to the AP160 with a 7mm Nagler.





Yeah, it's a bit late in the Jupiter season to be taking superb viewing, but despite calendar, I was pleased to see much cloud band detail. I was soooo focused on the surface detail that I completely missed what was going on with the moons. My dad was in town for the kids' birthdays. It was he who noticed two of the moons in close proximity. Sure enough, Ganymede and Callisto were position quite close together. In all my Jupiter observing experiences, I had never before seen this. I shoulda taken a pic. Since I didn't, here's a screenshot from TheSky v6:





If you are unfamiliar with these telescopes, allow me to explain. The C9.25 (black scope on the left) is a Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain with a 9.25" mirror for light gathering (aperture). That means it is a great telescope for deep sky objects and decent for planetary. The other telescope (white on the right) is an Astro-Physics 160 apochromatic refractor, meaning the aperture is 160mm. This telescope has no mirrors, and is well color-corrected. It is an excellent planetary viewing scope.



No comments: