Sunday, October 26, 2008

Electroluminescence (EL) for shooting flats


LuminousFilms sells this EL panel packaged with an inverter and dimmer. I placed the panel atop a semi-obscure sheet of plexiglass from Home Depot. Shooting sky flats is a thing of the past. Used it for the first time last night. Having the dimmer made it easy to shoot flats for each color filter. Since the panel is lighting up greenish-blue, flats for the green and blue filters took 1/6th the amount of exposure time as shooting for the red. I plan to search for white plexiglass next.

The illumination is distributed evenly across the panel. Best of all, it is portable. Once I figure out my permanent plexiglass solution, I will create a frame for the panel, plexiglass, and backing. In the meantime, I'm toting the panel in an art portfolio case.

No comments: